MittenMan
Angler

Regarding Strike Indicators

Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 am

Roger, I was just reading your article regarding strike indicators. One question I would like to ask, as I have never used a strike indicator except for a wire strike indicator during the winter for ice fishing.
What I was wondering is when do you take the indicator off of your line? I get how it works and once you know you have a bite do you remove the indicator and get rid of the slack line made by the hanging indicator then set the hook or do you set the hook with the indicator still on your line?
Say you set the hook and remove the indicator, then do you let it fall to the ground or what as you are now fighting a fish? Will the indicator you show how to make still float if it falls into the water or will it sink with the weight of the cup holder?
Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Bill :P

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Re: Regarding Strike Indicators

Sun May 06, 2018 2:42 am

The wine cork indicators float if they fall off the line before you can get to it. I usually scramble to the pole and pull it off then start reeling.

I went fishing a couple weeks ago without my strike indicators and used a spoon to hang off the line. I have to say that's an awkward solution. It works but it's not ideal. You can't see the spoon from as far away as a strike indicator and the hooks can present a problem. Also, spoons don't float. :shock:

I don't set the hook when soaking bait and do not ever lose a fish. I've lost more fish on spoons and stick baits (like Rapala lures). With spoons for some reason it helps to set the hook. So when I fish with spoons, I always give it a light jerk to make sure the hook is set.

The reason I don't lose fish when soaking bait may be because of the kind of hooks I use. I use dry fly hooks which are hooks created for tying fishing flies that float. Dry fly hooks are very thin. Thin hooks penetrate easy. The thicker the hook the hard it is for it to cut.

Dry fly hooks are also light, which helps the mice tail worms float.

With a properly set drag you will never straighten a hook, ever. My kid has reeled in many trout (and countless panfish) without ever straightening a dry fly hook.

The only hooks I've ever straightened out is on spoons and Rapala type lures. And I think that only happened because I was trying to lift a large 24+ inch trout into a net that it was too big to fit in. :?

MittenMan
Angler

Sun May 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Roger,
Thank you for your response. Forgive me but I am a little slow on the draw today about some things and what I do not understand is when do you take the indicator off of the line/rod? Or does it just remain on the line as you land the fish? What do you do about the slack line the indicator creates?
A little foggy today. :oops:
Kind Regards,
Bill

Patientz3ro

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Mittenman - he said he scrambles to the pole, pulls off the indicator, then starts reeling.

As for the slack, either the fish will pull out the slack for you, or you'll reel it back in. Either way, it's not going to be a problem. Don't over think it. You'll just psych yourself out, and that means the fish won. Don't let the fish win.

Ever.

Return to “Trout Fishing Forum”