Trout59

Night Fishing For Trout

Sat May 12, 2018 12:03 am

I decided to try nigh fishing for trout from my boat today.
It was a lot of fun but I have a lot to learn.
I seen a couple of boat having some success but in the dark it is harder to learn form others.
Do you have any experience or suggestions on this type of fishing?

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Re: Night Fishing For Trout

Sat May 12, 2018 2:26 am

First off, I have to say that's really cool that you're fishing for trout at night from a boat! :)
I've only done it from the bank. Must be really nice on a boat at night.

Keep your lights off as much as possible. Don't shine it on the water. It takes about 15 minutes to get used to the dark but once you do you'll be surprised by how well you can see in the dark, especially after an hour or so.

If you use a light, use a headlamp that is a low lumen light or one of the red colored ones. I think there's a green color light that I've heard is better than red. Red doesn't work for me. So I use a low lumen head lamp for tying leaders on or snapping on lures. Other than that, it's lights out!

One of the best ways to think about night fishing is to visualize that everything is creeping about trying not to be seen. Fish are relying on their lateral lines to sense the movement of things to eat.

Slow movement is the order of the night. Imagine that everything is creeping around on tip toe trying not to be seen or heard.

It is very unnatural for something to splash around or to swim with lots of commotion during these circumstances.

I like fishing a soft bait on a light jig at night. Or else a soft bait with a small split shot. Then creep it back slowly. Seems to work well.

Fly fishing people like to use mice flies, fishing flies that look like mice. Apparently the really big brown trout are suckers for mice and voles that fall into the water.

I've never had success fishing spinner lures at night, probably because it too noisy and splashy. But I read a book by a guy who did it and he said he used to toss it out then let it sit for a few minutes before he began his retrieve. He didn't say how big his spinner was but I suspect it was a very light and small one. The waiting was probably to let the fish settle down after being spooked by the splash down.

Trout59

Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks, I was surprised at how many people were night fishing from boats and the bank.
It was extremely calm and relaxing.
My fish finder was showing fish, but I really did not know what to do at 15' targets and 20' depth.

What gave me the idea was, the weekend prior, it was almost dark and I finished trolling and waiting my turn to dock.
The trout was hitting the top and not hitting the spinners very well, so I toss out 1 mice tail about 18" off the bottom.
Caught a golden rainbow (WV hybrid), so I tossed out 2 mice tails and caught one and before I could get it out of the net caught another one and had to scoop it with the first one still in the net.

Last year, my first year fishing, a couple of different old timers that were arriving at dark as I was leaving told me to get a light and shine it into the water and it would attract the fish.

Obviously, I thought I was onto something and bought a green under water light.

When I arrived an hour before dark, I quickly realized there were some serious nigh fishermen there.
All had various forms of lights that they shined into the water. I could see lights from the bank fishermen but it didn't look like they were shining them into the water.

A couple of times I could see fish under my boat and several times the fish finder told me the was a whole school.
I just did not know what to use or how it use it at a mid-depth.

The light I was using to tie hooks might have been too bright as you mentioned, I might try one of those green ones.

Thanks for the advice, I am anxious to learn more about this type of fishing. Another thing I learned was, I left at 11:30 and it was obvious these guy were in it for the long haul. I wish I could see what they were doing to learn more.

Stocking here will be over May 30th and from what I understand, the only way to catch the warmer water lake trout is to fish at night.

I

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Mon May 14, 2018 1:50 am

Go to your local bait and tackle and tell them you're fishing at night, what lure/bait should you use. If they know what they're talking about, you'll know. Then you can follow up with questions. Bait shops treat their customers good and will help you with information when they have it.

If they're just answering your question for the sake of answering the question, you'll know it. Just nod and say thanks.

I have a hard time believing that light will attract trout. Trout are shy of light and seek the comfort and safety of the shade. Shining a light on them might seem unnatural to them. Trout are wary.

I know that shrimp will be attracted to light and it's possible that scuds (mini freshwater shrimp) might be attracted to light. But... trout are wary...

I think what you did, targeting the trout 18 inches off the bottom was a good move for that evening. They may have been seeking the comfort of the temperature and the oxygen.

Warm water doesn't hold oxygen well. So they'll seek colder water in the summer. This are where the comfort zone exists is called the thermocline. At a certain point during the season the thermocline changes and the sweet spot for life becomes deeper.

However, sometimes there are underwater springs in some lakes, ponds and reservoirs where fish will congregate for the oxygen and comfort. That might be why you saw a cluster of fish in a specific spot on your fish finder. Either that or the thermocline.

Any way, isn't this fun? :)

I went out fishing for striped bass last night but it's still early in the season for night fishing. Stayed until 2 am. Only action I got was from catfish.

Return to “Trout Fishing Forum”