BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Saw Rings in Water... Then Caught These Fish!

Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I had a really cool experience the other day. I was fishing a local lake and all of a sudden saw a handful of rings and the occasional nose of a fish breaching the surface of the water.

"A hatch! " I said out loud.

So I grabbed a rod with a wood bobber and a hook already rigged up with a 1.5 inch soft bait and tossed it out. I gently tugged it, causing the lure to rise up then slowly flutter down. This was to mimic a bug rising up to hatch.

Then I caught this fish, a decent sized black crappie, about six to seven inches long. Really nice looking. Didn't keep it, released it unharmed.
black-crappie.jpg
Black Crappie - Pomoxis nigromaculatus
black-crappie.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 966 times
crappie-tail.jpg
Black Crappie closeup image of an injured tail
crappie-tail.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 966 times
The soft bait stopped working so I switched to a small Luhr Jensen Super Duper spoon and caught these two, a smaller black crappie and a nice six inch blue gill.
bluegill-6-inch.jpg
Bluegill 6 inches long Lepomis macrochirus
bluegill-6-inch.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 966 times
black-crappie-small.jpg
A small sized black crappie ca
black-crappie-small.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 966 times
I switched to a smaller size Super Duper spoon because when a lure stops working it usually means it's caught all the fish it's going to catch in that spot in that moment. Switching up can sometimes turn the bite back on.

Super Duper spoons aren't as well known as Kastmasters, but they're great for catching all kinds of freshwater fish, especially the smaller sizes. The chrome colored one with the red is my favorite. :)

Oh, and what made this an extra fun experience is that I first saw the rings, meaning the fish were taking bugs just under the surface.

Then about five minutes later I saw the hatch take flight, cream colored flies all over the air. Really nice to be a witness to such an event, starting with those rings in the water then ending with a hatch of little bugs doing their thing above the water.

Roger

Return to “Fishing Reports - Photos and Fishing Stories”