BaitSoaker
Site Admin

First Largemouth Bass of the Season!

Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 pm

While soaking bait for trout I decided to tie on a gold colored HD Trout lure. On about the third cast I caught this feisty largemouth bass!
juvenile-largemouth-bass.jpg
juvenile-largemouth-bass.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
It's a juvenile largemouth bass, not so big, but it put up a decent fight on my ultralight rod and reel. :D

I also got a follow from a pickerel but I kind of didn't want to deal with it. So I paused the lure until the pickerel lost interest and swam away. :lol:

MittenMan
Angler

Re: First Largemouth Bass of the Season!

Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 pm

Roger,
Congrats on another nice fish. Sounds like you were fishing somewhere where warm water and cold water fishes inhabit the same place. Were the Trout there stocked? Was it some type of natural pond or was it a man made reservoir of some type?
Kind Regards,
Bill :)

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Re: First Largemouth Bass of the Season!

Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks! :)

It's a natural lake that has some depth. I am certain there are springs that warm a certain part of it in the winter and keep it cold during the summer. People ice fish on it but that's not my thing yet.

Lots of holdover fish of many species and lots of bug life. The other day I spied a crawdad crawling under a rock. It was a dark color like a wet rock. Crawdads, water plants, bugs, those are all good signs of a healthy ecosystem.

Yes, this lake is stocked. I caught brook trout that were over 12 inches in this lake, lol.

Return to “Fishing Reports - Photos and Fishing Stories”